Recent posts
Topic: A parade of Catocala moths | Author: Trehopr1 | Replies: 40 | Views: 920
jhyatt

Re: A parade of Catocala moths

by jhyatt » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:56 pm

mothman55 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:42 pm The one with the yellow marker is an interesting one. Also note that the inner hindwing stripe ends well before the inner margin and is narrower than all the other coccinata, as in a number of other catocala species. I believe there are named "forms" of coccinata with this different inner hindwing stripe. So perhaps this is a form of coccinata that also has melanic forewings. Or perhaps it is another species altogether??
I have a number of coccinata with thin, short hw inner stripes, all from coastal Georgia and north Florida. I think that this is the typical southern form. But all of mine have the usual grey fw.

jh
Topic: butterfly bait trap | Author: papilio7119 | Replies: 11 | Views: 304
vabrou

Re: butterfly bait trap

by vabrou » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:49 pm

Correct, I use rolls of flexible fiberglass window screening, as I have fabricated and used a lot of these traps over the past half century. UV resistance is a must. But even this heavy duty window screening can be chewed up by hornets and bigger wasps. Over 300 of my 464 entomological publications and be freely accessed at this link, including many providing detailed instructions on how to fabricate different entomological equipment yourself: https://independent.academia.edu/VernonAntoineBrouJr

Regardless, the longest my traps operating 24 hours daily year-round and continuous here was 8 years and that was including lots of repairs. After 8 years I fabricated new traps.

As for cyanide, when someone tells you no, ignore them. Think out of the box. I have purchased dozens of 55-gallon and 50 gallon drums of sodium cyanide over the past half century. We use a lot of this because we have operated ~500 insect traps nonstop 24 hours daily 365-366 days/nights for the past 55 years. It is not necessary to buy laboratory grade chemicals, that is a waste of money and harder to obtain. Look for industrial grade, that is much easier to acquire. Your bugs will never know there are a few %% of impurities in what is killing them. The last (4) 50 kg drums of NaCn I purchased came out of Germany.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (120.8 KiB) Viewed 11 times
Topic: Shiiping dead insects from other countries into the USA | Author: nitinra | Replies: 4 | Views: 56
vabrou

Re: Shiiping dead insects from other countries into the USA

by vabrou » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:11 pm

I have watched decades of discussions and posting about these very same matters in this forum and others. Thus far, I have chosen not to participate by giving my true knowledge, because there is an inordinate amount of self proclaimed unknowledgeable experts giving their uninformed meaningless opinions. You don't need a damn thing either in or out of the USA. But, there are some things to address as: your public reputation, is your name already on a list of dishonest people, or obvious things like are you operating a business selling insects, or are you importing bird-wings... But the greatest problems occurs is when you put yourself on these potential watch list by contacting someone in government to ask questions or even more foolish by reporting your shipments. Already the massively expansive government regulators continues to grow by leaps and bounds daily without safe-fails. 99%+ of these shipments are not logged in any database. For what purpose would you do this self-inflicted foolishness? There are instances where these obtrusive regulations are probably helpful, but the majority of these regulations are nothing but massive government over reach by persons attempting to prove their importance and self-worth to the public. These clowns attempting to enforce these unsubstantiated regulations once employed, are there for their lifetimes. In 100% of the cases these regulations were falsely based upon falsely published research by elitist persons who have never done anything meaningful away from a computer. This entire matter is an unregulated enforcement and monetary taxation for the remainder of your lifetimes. These regulations are copied and pasted across the world by others who also are using these to justify their employment.

Want to see extremes, look at India who have passed laws outlawing any and all collecting and research even to dissecting earthworms by surgical medical training universities. Even government forestry researchers are arrested and their collections confiscated by other India's governmental agencies. The most ridiculous thing about India is that each state in India has passed their own individual sets of regulations and laws and in their government have engaged in fistfights and rowdiness involving throwing furniture at each other attempting to discuss some of these matters.

I learned long ago to never provide any usable information to just anyone. Novice collectors fall victim to this thinking they will elevate their lack of stature by telling all they know so it get on the official record. These government people will use your information to pass regulations stopping you from further research and collecting what you may have first newly discovered.

The further answer to these unjust enforcement regulations regardless of country, such enforcement often a consequence of where you live in your respective country. Out in less populated areas, few shipments are seen and bothered with; in big cities a lot more encounters occur.

I know those who have collected and shipped (in and out) of the USA for over 60-70 years, involving millions of insect specimens across the globe, and never once obtained any permit whatsoever, even once for any reasons. Also, if your country is an enemy of the other country involved in these shipments, expect negative results and more problems.

Persons who have asked me for advice about these matters more often listen to the misinformation found on the internet and forums like this one, and who ignored my warnings later write to me, they called anyway despite what I warned them not to do, and have subsequently fallen into the rabbit-hole to government oblivion.

How do I know these things? Well I remember when highest quality insect pins sold here in the USA for $3.00/1000 US. I also remember when some bird-wing butterflies sold here in the US for $2.00/each. I also have personally collected numerous billions of insects here in my state of Louisiana. So I have actually experienced these things I speak of. I have personally shipped in and out of the US more than 700,000 insects. I'll be 75 in two days, so there is a lot of history and experiences behind my opinions. One big negative about going on record and obtaining permits is that these corrupt reprobates whether it be government or personal acquaintances you though were friends, will eventually use your permits to shut down all your future personal entomological activities.

Here in the US we have constitutionally granted free speech to express our personal opinions whether others like it or not. In some countries one can be executed or may disappear for expressing their personal or truthful opinions. Before thinking of deleting opinions given here, one should carefully consider the financial future and ability to continue business and the ramifications of preventing opinions you may personally disagree with from appearing. E.g. I have not called for the removable of decades of false and nonsensical anecdotal opinions about these matters found on this, and similar forums. I have noted when peoples opinions are deleted in these forums, they and others seeing this occurring don't bother returning, because they see that the opinions are false and one-sided.

unrelated jpg for attention
From my 2004 generic revision of the moth genus Baileya in the USA, Citation:
Brou Jr., V.A. 2004. Two new species of Baileya Grote (Nolidae: Risobinae) from the southeastern United States. Jour. Lepid. Soc. 58:94-99.
Attachments
Baileya plate 9-03.JPG
Baileya plate 9-03.JPG (449.82 KiB) Viewed 12 times
Topic: Shiiping dead insects from other countries into the USA | Author: nitinra | Replies: 4 | Views: 56
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by kevinkk » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm

That was ambitious. Multiple topics about importing have popped up here from time to time. Your purpose doesn't matter, the Gov. wants to
be involved.
I have experience circumventing the process, but it's not recommended, I can only say it's a risk and if you do get your shipment, I wouldn't try it again, you may get into trouble. You as the recipient are solely responsible, not the exporter.
mothman55
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by mothman55 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:42 pm

The one with the yellow marker is an interesting one. Also note that the inner hindwing stripe ends well before the inner margin and is narrower than all the other coccinata, as in a number of other catocala species. I believe there are named "forms" of coccinata with this different inner hindwing stripe. So perhaps this is a form of coccinata that also has melanic forewings. Or perhaps it is another species altogether??
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:13 pm

Yes you need some permits/custom declaration.
I will let our American members give you more details.
Topic: Specimen locale - Madagascar | Author: bugsy | Replies: 2 | Views: 33
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Specimen locale - Madagascar

by adamcotton » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:12 am

This should be Moramanga, half way between Antananarivo and the East Coast.

Adam.

PS. Google Maps is often very useful ;)
billgarthe
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by billgarthe » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:10 am

One of my favorites…..C. coccinata. Any idea about the one at bottom where yellow marker is? It’s unlike any other coccinata I’ve seen. While dark, it has all the wing markings of coccinata…..maybe a mere melanistic form/abberation???
IMG_1713.jpeg
IMG_1713.jpeg (110.14 KiB) Viewed 37 times
nitinra

Shiiping dead insects from other countries into the USA

by nitinra » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 am

Hi all,

I ordered a bunch of butterflies ~300 specimens from insect-sale.com. Has anyone recently ordered insects from them into the US? Did it arrive in good condition without any issues with customs etc? Do I need a permit to get this delivered to me in the US? I will be using it for personal purposes and I am located in Montana.

TIA!
Topic: Specimen locale - Madagascar | Author: bugsy | Replies: 2 | Views: 33
bugsy

Specimen locale - Madagascar

by bugsy » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:37 am

Have this info on the back of a carded specimen, but not sure about the second word. "Madagascar Mortmanga" maybe?
madagascar.jpg
madagascar.jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 33 times
Topic: Anisota virginiensis | Author: livingplanet3 | Replies: 3 | Views: 67
58chevy

Re: Anisota virginiensis

by 58chevy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:51 pm

A. virginiensis & D. rubicunda (along with A. stigma) are common in the pineywoods north of Houston. I captured a couple of males sitting on a wall back in March. Yes, the transparent forewings are very cool. I once saw about a dozen of them hovering in place about a foot off the ground. Impressive sight. Also, I've heard that a revision of the Anisota genus is in progress (Peigler), so some new species might be popping out. Not sure when.
Topic: Moths of North America (MONA) Catocala | Author: mothman55 | Replies: 4 | Views: 4664
mothman55
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Moths of North America (MONA) Catocala

by mothman55 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:19 pm

Appreciate the updates, thanks. So we will be patient. There are so many species and changes, it will be worth the wait if it is as good as the other MONA publications.
evra

Re: Anisota virginiensis

by evra » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:12 pm

Ever see the males in the daytime? They are pretty cool with transparent forewings.

With A. oslari I had never seen a male until I put out a virgin female and within 30 seconds, I had about a dozen males swarming me at Pena Blanca Canyon a couple of years ago. It's interesting that something can be so common and you never see it.
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by Jshuey » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:16 pm

papilio7119 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:31 pm Over time the netting material has disintegrated. I am trying to rebuild them and have tried using other netting materials but really liked that stuff better. Does anyone know/ recall what it was made out of?
I think he used plastic screen door material in his traps. Very heavy and UV resistant.

John
Luehdorf

by Luehdorf » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:14 pm

@vabrou thank you so much for sharing these very inspiring designs! About your bait trap with the automated collecting chamber: in the chambers where you use ethyl acetate, how do you dose it so that it lasts for 24 hours? Are you using a doser that drops something every half an hour, or just pour a certain amount over a small towel and how many ml exactly? I am in a tropical country but it does not get hotter than Louisiana summers so that should work well.
I would love to use Sodiumcyanide or KCN, but havent found a source for it yet, in Germany we could get KCN until about two years ago from entomological stores.
Topic: Thoughts on NABA? | Author: Nymphalis antiopa | Replies: 5 | Views: 75
Nymphalis antiopa

Re: Thoughts on NABA?

by Nymphalis antiopa » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:42 pm

Hi Kevin,

We've talked before. I'm sure if things aren't done with the necessary precautions, things can get out of hand. But where I live in the Midwest, prairie burns (done locally with breaks) increase help wildflower diversity. Species like our native Speyeria benefit from burns. Violets also increase.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by kevinkk » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:25 pm

There's no such thing as a "controlled burn" Ask the CA Dept. of Forestry. When I lived in Humboldt, they had 2 get of of hand and caused a mess.
There is a database of Pacific Northwest leps I use, never heard of the NABA, doesn't sound like I want to.
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Anisota virginiensis

by livingplanet3 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm

Just by chance, I came across an Anisota virginiensis yesterday evening -

I can't recall if I've seen this species here before, though I do remember finding Dryocampa rubicunda on a few occasions, years ago -

I've always been fascinated by Ceratocampinae. There are many small species that are much lesser known than those in familiar genera such as Citheronia and Eacles. For example - Adelowalkeria tristygma (Brazil) :) -

Nymphalis antiopa

by Nymphalis antiopa » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:15 pm

I completely agree. Their stance on collecting is only backed up with emotional reasoning. They should all stop driving cars because cars kill way more butterflies than collectors can catch. They also seem to be antagonistic to different habitat management practices which is something I don’t understand. Stuff like controlled, local burns and haying. I think it’s a shame that Naba seems to have more power than an institution like the Lepidopterist’s society that has a much more balanced approach.

I’m friends with some people who associate with Naba so I appreciate the work that they do. But I just wish they would stop with this “hands off nature” stuff because I think it will have some pretty dire consequences.
58chevy

by 58chevy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:36 pm

I personally do not like NABA's anti-collecting stance. They sometimes harass collectors, so I try to avoid NABA people. I keep a copy of P.17 of the Kaufmann Field Guide in my car, which explains that collecting has almost zero effect on butterfly populations and that the "bad guys" are the ones who destroy habitats, such as real estate developers and big commercial farms. Having said that, I acknowledge that the goal of NABA is to preserve butterfly populations. I think we can all agree on that. Before Glassberg founded NABA, he was a collector. He didn't denounce collecting until he had collected every species he wanted.