Recent posts
Topic: Consul panariste | Author: livingplanet3 | Replies: 25 | Views: 599
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Consul panariste

by Jshuey » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:24 pm

I'm just not buying it - that I really well known photographer and biologist with this many photos on his web page if the bug in question "fakes it".

John

livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

by livingplanet3 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:22 pm

wollastoni wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:04 pm @livingplanet3 : each time you see this fake picture on the social network, you can send this Collector's Secret article explaining why this "live" picture is an artwork with spread buterflies : Kelvin Hudson fake morpho picture
https://collector-secret.com/blog/histo ... vin-hudson
Many thanks. Hudson probably should have explained that the photo was indeed staged, but I suppose that would have completely taken away the "magic" of the image that he put so much effort into creating (or rather, hoaxing). Regardless of the fact that the specimens are a commercially farmed product, most people of course aren't going to want to hear that these are actually dried, preserved butterflies. I'm sure that the vast majority of the general public isn't even aware that butterfly farms exist.
Topic: Rearing of North American papilios in Central America | Author: Luehdorf | Replies: 3 | Views: 77
Jshuey
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Rearing of North American papilios in Central America

by Jshuey » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:02 pm

I think you are headed down a potentially dangerous road. Many Latin American countries have pretty onerous laws designed to prevent the introduction of invasive species. I don't know about Panama - but if I had to guess, I would say yes. I doubt that enforcement is really aggressive, but why would you risk it when you live in a country that probably has twice as many species present as the US and Canada combined?

There are plenty of local; species you could play with - some of which extend into the States. Papilio polyxenes is in the mountains in Panama, Heliconius charitonius likewise. Pick something local and stay out of jail.

John
Topic: Glorious Begum (Agatasa calydonia) | Author: Trehopr1 | Replies: 4 | Views: 40
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

Re: Glorious Begum (Agatasa calydonia)

by livingplanet3 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:47 pm

Trehopr1 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:02 am Here we have a very colorful (on the underside) butterfly
which is from Perak, Malaysia (1963). It is reasonably large,
stout-bodied, and likely a powerful/fast flier like many other
Nymphalids of similar build.

I've always liked it and this one strangely is the only one
which I've ever encountered in any private collection here
in the U.S. Fortunately, my singular find turned out to be
a fine representative of this marvelous species !...
Agreed - Agatasa calydonia is a very interesting, monotypic butterfly; one of only four species in the tribe Prothoini. I have a specimen that was collected in the early 1980s. Worth mentioning is its smaller relative, the Blue Begum (Prothoe franck) -

http://nlliew66butterflies.blogspot.com ... ormis.html
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

Re: Breeding Onthophagus gazella, and Scarabaeus sacer dung beetles!

by livingplanet3 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:04 pm

Probably not relevant to the OP's project, but here's a short film from CSIRO about the efforts begun in the mid-1960s to naturalize exotic dung beetles in Australia -

wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:04 pm

livingplanet3 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:37 pm
jhyatt wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:39 pm Speaking of faked photos, my pet peeve is one I keep seeing in ads -- a male Morpho didius sitting on a flower. Bugs me to death!

jh
Also - this, does not happen -

https://mymodernmet.com/kelvin-hudson-b ... y-picture/

https://kelvinhudson.com/animals
@livingplanet3 : each time you see this fake picture on the social network, you can send this Collector's Secret article explaining why this "live" picture is an artwork with spread buterflies : Kelvin Hudson fake morpho picture
Topic: Corsican Swallowtail (Papilio hospiton) | Author: Trehopr1 | Replies: 3 | Views: 54
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Re: Corsican Swallowtail (Papilio hospiton)

by adamcotton » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:31 pm

As Olivier said, it is currently protected in Europe and is on CITES II, but before a downgrade several years ago it was initially fully protected with CITES I status.

Presumably your specimen is a 'pre-CITES' example.

Adam.
Topic: Glorious Begum (Agatasa calydonia) | Author: Trehopr1 | Replies: 4 | Views: 40
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:28 pm

This species was placed in genus Prothoe recently, after Mynes and before being placed in its own genus, Agatasa. It occurs in Thailand rarely with two subspecies, but I have never seen one.
ssp. calydonia http://yutaka.it-n.jp/cha/60010001.html
ssp. belisama http://yutaka.it-n.jp/cha/60010010.html

Adam.
daveuk

by daveuk » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:50 pm

Trehopr1 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:02 am Here we have a very colorful (on the underside) butterfly

a fine representative of this marvelous species !
Marvelous species indeed. Great specimen considering it's age Trehopr. I have a couple of males from Malaysia & a pair from Sumatra. Will have to dig those out & take some photos.
Topic: Corsican Swallowtail (Papilio hospiton) | Author: Trehopr1 | Replies: 3 | Views: 54
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Corsican Swallowtail (Papilio hospiton)

by wollastoni » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:26 am

Even if common on the right spot, Papilio hospiton is a CITES II species and totally protected by French, Italian and EU laws.
So the current status is a total protection.

Another example of useless protection as this species is not endangered at all and Corsican and Sardinian mountains are well protected as the human density is low there. But it is protected.
Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Corsican Swallowtail (Papilio hospiton)

by Trehopr1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:31 am

This lovely medium-sized swallowtail species is
found only on Corsica and Sardinia (to the best of
my knowledge).That makes it a rather desirable
and yet unlikely find to run across in most private
collections here in the U.S.

I am uncertain as to its present status. However,
even if common at times it may well be protected
from collecting of any specimens.

I found my wonderful example many moons ago in
another fine collection being parted out. I almost
overlooked it as it was pinned amongst a series of
some 10 Papilio machaon's. Fortunately, I had seen
pictures of the species in a couple of my books and
recognised it right away.

Trehopr1
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

Glorious Begum (Agatasa calydonia)

by Trehopr1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:02 am

Here we have a very colorful (on the underside) butterfly

a fine representative of this marvelous species !

58chevy

Re: Breeding Onthophagus gazella, and Scarabaeus sacer dung beetles!

by 58chevy » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:40 am

This link might be helpful:

http://beetle-experience.com/index.php
Topic: Rearing of North American papilios in Central America | Author: Luehdorf | Replies: 3 | Views: 77
58chevy

Re: Rearing of North American papilios in Central America

by 58chevy » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:31 am

I think Heraclides (Papilio) cresphontes would also do well, as would other species that feed on citrus, assuming citrus crops are grown in Panama. If Red Bay trees are present there, P. palamedes would be a good bet.
58chevy

by 58chevy » Wed Dec 07, 2022 2:20 am

The shadows give it away as a photo of the butterfly dropped onto a leaf background. There should be shadows below the tails, the right forewing, and the antennae. A Photoshop clipping path was cut around the butterfly. It would have been more convincing had they used the dropshadow function in Photoshop, but they didn't. As a former Photoshop user, these omissions are red flags.
Topic: Odontolabis Lacordarei vs Spectabilis | Author: Odontolabis | Replies: 3 | Views: 121
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

Re: Odontolabis Lacordarei vs Spectabilis

by livingplanet3 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:51 pm

Odontolabis wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:33 pm Hello,
As the title suggests I'd love to clear out what the differences are between these two species. Am I right to assume it's mainly the orange patch on the head and the the teeth position on the mandibles?
Am I right to say the specimen on the left is O. spectabilis and on the right lacordarei?
Thanks for any input.

https://i.postimg.cc/rFMjqdtq/IMG-20221116-221750.jpg
The differences between these two species are rather subtle. It does appear however, that you have correctly identified the specimens in your photo (with spectabilis on the left, and lacordairei at right).

This is spectabilis -

And this is lacordairei -

Topic: Papilio (machaon?) bairdii / brucei | Author: laurie2 | Replies: 6 | Views: 189
laurie2

Re: Papilio (machaon?) bairdii / brucei

by laurie2 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:42 pm

adamcotton wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:29 am Recent DNA analysis of genus Papilio, on which I am a co-author and has recently been submitted for publication, shows that Papilio bairdii is a separate species to the Palaearctic P. machaon. I wasn't going to mention details until after publication, and will inform Insectnet readers about other interesting changes in the genus when the paper is eventually published. I decided in this instance that there is no harm in confirming the status of Papilio bairdii since it has been treated as a separate species before.

Adam.
That's very kind of you Adam to mention. I very much look forward in due course to reading the paper.
Luehdorf

Rearing of North American papilios in Central America

by Luehdorf » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:37 pm

I was considering getting myself a few species from the US, and rear them all year round in Panama. I know from Adam that he has been doing that successfully in Thailand with Papilio machaon and others, so my question is which species of North American papilio would be ideal to breed all year round in Panama? Also in terms of food plant availability?
I know that there is papilio stabilis or papilio polyxenes in the highlands of Costa Rica and Panama, that would be ideal probably, but what about: Papilio rutulus, Papilio glaucus, Papilio troilus, Papilio zelicaon or Battus philenor?
Looking forward to any suggestions.
Topic: Panama - field trips 2022 | Author: Luehdorf | Replies: 13 | Views: 606
Luehdorf

Re: Panama - field trips 2022

by Luehdorf » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:18 pm

@Cassidinae yes I made sure it was a new moon night, it was even cloudy, and very light mist was falling, so it was very wet and humid, but no rain, absolutely perfect night, in the mountains of Cerro Azul, view into a valley of primary rain forest and secondary growth, at least two or three kilometres on the left and the right side, 800m elevation in June 2022
Topic: Panama - field trips 2022 | Author: Luehdorf | Replies: 13 | Views: 606
Luehdorf

Re: Panama - field trips 2022

by Luehdorf » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:16 pm

Cassidinae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:46 pm Luehdorf - as far as moths, can you post a photo of the canvas and lighting you are catching at night? It is also very important to catch in the new moon. But you probably know that.
I use an EntoLED by Bioform Germany, here is some detailed info about it, its in German but google translate works good and there are some photos, apparently it works well for other researchers: https://www.bioform.de/shop.php?action= ... reeid=5273
And I use a light tower over the light:
Attachments
Light Tower Cerro Azul 2022.jpg
Light Tower Cerro Azul 2022.jpg (129.89 KiB) Viewed 49 times