Recent posts
Topic: Islanded Endemics | Author: Chuck | Replies: 15 | Views: 313
MikeH

Re: Islanded Endemics

by MikeH » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:35 am

livingplanet3 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:00 am
eurytides wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 pm Not sure where you live, but demoleus is now established in parts of the US and common in the Caribbean.
I've not heard of any records of demoleus from the mainland US (only the Caribbean). Have there now been some sightings from Florida? If this species were to turn up anywhere on the mainland, FL would be the most likely place.
Several have been posted to inaturalist from a few places

https://www.inaturalist.org/observation ... n_id=51583
livingplanet3

by livingplanet3 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:00 am

eurytides wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 pm Not sure where you live, but demoleus is now established in parts of the US and common in the Caribbean.
I've not heard of any records of demoleus from the mainland US (only the Caribbean). Have there now been some sightings from Florida? If this species were to turn up anywhere on the mainland, FL would be the most likely place.
eurytides

by eurytides » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 pm

livingplanet3 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:26 pm
daveuk wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:19 pm Here is a true island endemic. Papilio erithonoides. Madagascar
It resembles closely Papilio demodocus commonly encountered on the African continent but also found in Madagascar
Nice specimen! Of the demodocus clade, I've only ever able to obtain demodocus and demoleus. I've long watched for an opportunity to acquire morondavana and grosesmithi, but they never seem to be available -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papilio_m ... davana.JPG

http://swallowtails.net/P_grosemithi.htm
Not sure where you live, but demoleus is now established in parts of the US and common in the Caribbean.
Topic: Anaea andria | Author: livingplanet3 | Replies: 7 | Views: 192
livingplanet3

Re: Anaea andria

by livingplanet3 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:48 pm

daveuk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:16 pm Thanks for that information.
Incidentally, there are at least four other species of Anaeini that have occasionally been sighted in the US (all tropical strays): Fountainea glycerium, Memphis forreri, Memphis pithyusa (extreme southern Texas), and Hypna clytemnestra (Florida Keys).

https://bugguide.net/node/view/483629/bgpage
daveuk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:16 pm Would love to see the A andria from your photo when & if you have spread it.
I plan to eventually post photos of many of my butterfly and beetle specimens on this forum, once I have them spread.
daveuk

by daveuk » Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:16 pm

[/quote]
The taxonomy of the tribe Anaeini seems to be unsettled, especially for the genus Anaea. By most recent accounts, there are currently only three species classified under the genus Anaea: aidea, andria, and troglodyta. All three of these can be found in the US (with andria having the widest distribution), and according to some authors, these three "species" may actually all be ssp. of troglodyta.
[/quote]

Thanks for that information. Would love to see the A andria from your photo when & if you have spread it.
Topic: Moths from Chiang Mai, Thailand | Author: andyridae | Replies: 3 | Views: 130
andyridae

Re: Moths from Chiang Mai, Thailand

by andyridae » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:43 pm

Thankyou for that info about the yellow Barsine, that sorts that moth out, thanks again.
livingplanet3

by livingplanet3 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:31 pm

daveuk wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:22 am That's a beautiful photo & specimen of A andria. I love these fiery red "true" Anaea. Only have a handful in my collection.
Top picture on the left are a pair of A troglodyda portia from Jamaica. On the right two male A aidea from Texas & Mexico. Bottom is the underside of a female A aidea from Texas.
Bottom picture left a pair of A troglodyta cubana from Cuba & on the right another pair of A t. portia from Jamiaca. Not sure the identification or data is right on this pair though as they are from an old collection in which quite a few specimens were misidentified.
The taxonomy of the tribe Anaeini seems to be unsettled, especially for the genus Anaea. By most recent accounts, there are currently only three species classified under the genus Anaea: aidea, andria, and troglodyta. All three of these can be found in the US (with andria having the widest distribution), and according to some authors, these three "species" may actually all be ssp. of troglodyta.
livingplanet3

by livingplanet3 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:30 pm

Chuck wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:13 pm ...I assume this ssp of Buprestid is endemic to Temotu Province, Solomon Islands. At least that's what I recall. The photo doesn't come close to showing the brilliant orange reflection on the elytra. I put a few on Ebay 20 years ago at what I thought were very high prices and they sold immediately. I recall a buyer informing me that it's an endemic at the ssp level; certainly, not much comes out of Temotu because it's such a remote area. Does anyone have an ID on this?
A species of Paracupta, possibly P. helopioides -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33398884@N03/51057078947
Chuck

by Chuck » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Temotu Province is in political Solomon Islands, though way east near Vanuatu (formerly New Hebrides). Santa Cruz islands are within Temotu Province, and include the island also called Santa Cruz.

Malaita is a large island in Solomon Islands proper, NE of Guadalcanal. It's pronounced Mah-laye-tah.

I never made it to Malaita, nor to Temotu. Regional dealers would occasionally go to the capital Honiara on Guadalcanal to try to find a buyer for their insects, and if I got lucky I'd run into them. I really wasn't interested in buying specimens for commercial sale, but at the time Solomon Islands was in a civil war and the ordinary people needed every cent they could get, so I bought what I could to help them. Commercial sales got too big for me to handle, so I gave the business away to an ethical US-based retailer that could.

Most of my time was on (of course) Guadalcanal, on poorly surveyed San Christobal (Makira) Island, and the other direction Western Province. I've been to Vanuatu (and Fiji, Tonga, Samoas, etc.) but without much time to do any field work.
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:24 pm

Chuck,

My but you have gotten around! Where's Temotu? Out in the Reef Islands, or maybe over towards Santa Cruz?

Been meaning to ask someone who would know: Is Malaita pronounced "Ma Lay Ta" or is it "Mala i Ta"?

Tks,
John
Chuck

by Chuck » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Something for the Coleopterists

Batocera lamondi, endemic to the island of Malaita, Solomon Islands

I assume this ssp of Buprestid is endemic to Temotu Province, Solomon Islands. At least that's what I recall. The photo doesn't come close to showing the brilliant orange reflection on the elytra. I put a few on Ebay 20 years ago at what I thought were very high prices and they sold immediately. I recall a buyer informing me that it's an endemic at the ssp level; certainly, not much comes out of Temotu because it's such a remote area. Does anyone have an ID on this?

Topic: Moths from Chiang Mai, Thailand | Author: andyridae | Replies: 3 | Views: 130
Borearctia

Re: Moths from Chiang Mai, Thailand

by Borearctia » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:53 am

"According to sources, male Barsine's are not known to have a yellow form".
There is a interesting publication about Barsine species in Cambodia. A yellow form of a male is also shown there.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4X18301237
Topic: Travel in Saudi Arabia | Author: africaone | Replies: 6 | Views: 279
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2022
Premium Member - 2022

Re: Travel in Saudi Arabia

by kevinkk » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:44 am

Chuck wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:29 pm
Paul K wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 pm
Cassidinae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:46 pm In Saudi Arabia, they don't pay attention with catching and exporting insects. As in most Muslim countries, insects are considered something worthy of attention :)
I wish that would be the case in Indonesia.

And Malaysia. And how about Turkey, that's a great Muslim country to break their collecting laws.

I cannot answer concerning Saudi, but I'd do some research before assuming it's no problem to collect. Further, plan to have a guide or the government watchdogs will want to know what you're doing. Be careful in Saudi, it's VERY WELL known that American businessmen commonly, and unsuspectingly, break laws there and get arrested.
I probably shouldn't... I'm left handed and would be at a disadvantage on day 1. Watching dinosaur dig video might be a good start, you need
a lot of stuff, and a hat that says "do not kidnap no $"
daveuk

by daveuk » Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:22 am

That's a beautiful photo & specimen of A andria. I love these fiery red "true" Anaea. Only have a handful in my collection.
Top picture on the left are a pair of A troglodyda portia from Jamaica. On the right two male A aidea from Texas & Mexico. Bottom is the underside of a female A aidea from Texas.
Bottom picture left a pair of A troglodyta cubana from Cuba & on the right another pair of A t. portia from Jamiaca. Not sure the identification or data is right on this pair though as they are from an old collection in which quite a few specimens were misidentified.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221128-191742_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221128-191742_Gallery.jpg (430.98 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Screenshot_20221128-191751_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221128-191751_Gallery.jpg (350 KiB) Viewed 96 times
Topic: Buprestis rufipes | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 4 | Views: 91
livingplanet3

Re: Buprestis rufipes

by livingplanet3 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:52 pm

58chevy wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:35 pm Coincidentally, I know of another person who encountered a mass emergence of these from a dead tree. Not sure if it was a cottonwood or something else. He put about 50 of them in a jar and they tore each other to pieces.
That's really unfortunate about them damaging each other; buprestid mandibles may be small, but they're likely strong enough to clip the thin, delicate legs and antennae typical of this family of beetles.
Topic: Buprestis rufipes | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 4 | Views: 91
58chevy

Re: Buprestis rufipes

by 58chevy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:35 pm

Coincidentally, I know of another person who encountered a mass emergence of these from a dead tree. Not sure if it was a cottonwood or something else. He put about 50 of them in a jar and they tore each other to pieces.
livingplanet3

by livingplanet3 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:25 pm

Chuck wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:44 pm Great photo of andria.

As far as the trees, at least you still have Elms, and still have leaves. LOL.
True - TX has been less affected by Dutch elm disease, despite it having been present in the US for nearly a century. There have been some occasional outbreaks here, but not on the scale seen in the East and Midwest. American elm is one of the most common trees in my area, and I really hope it will remain so.
Chuck

by Chuck » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:29 pm

Paul K wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 pm
Cassidinae wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:46 pm In Saudi Arabia, they don't pay attention with catching and exporting insects. As in most Muslim countries, insects are considered something worthy of attention :)

And Malaysia. And how about Turkey, that's a great Muslim country to break their collecting laws.

I cannot answer concerning Saudi, but I'd do some research before assuming it's no problem to collect. Further, plan to have a guide or the government watchdogs will want to know what you're doing. Be careful in Saudi, it's VERY WELL known that American businessmen commonly, and unsuspectingly, break laws there and get arrested.
Paul K

by Paul K » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 pm

Chuck

by Chuck » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:44 pm

Great photo of andria.

As far as the trees, at least you still have Elms, and still have leaves. LOL.