Recent posts
Topic: Best places to light and/or net in South Florida? | Author: Hepialus | Replies: 4 | Views: 62
Hepialus

Re: Best places to light and/or net in South Florida?

by Hepialus » Thu Jun 20, 2024 4:51 am

58chevy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:01 pm Check out the Keys Moths videos:
I am in contact with him. Going to talk with him tomorrow about where he gets best results.
Topic: Best places to light and/or net in South Florida? | Author: Hepialus | Replies: 4 | Views: 62
58chevy

by 58chevy » Wed Jun 19, 2024 7:01 pm

Check out the Keys Moths videos:
58chevy

Re: Collecting moths in places not near home - how to bring equipment?

by 58chevy » Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:26 pm

Rather than haul your equipment with you, you could contact some local collectors and use their equipment. They could also serve as guides. If you don't know any locals, contact David Fine at keysmoths.com. He's a collector and knows others. You could also contact the McGuire Center for more info. A collector named Mark DeGrove lives in Punta Gorda. Many species in FL have multiple broods. There is no "off-season" there. You can find stuff even during winter months.
Topic: Where did our Colorado members go? | Author: Chuck | Replies: 3 | Views: 127
58chevy

Re: Where did our Colorado members go?

by 58chevy » Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:02 pm

My son lives in CO Springs. He's not a collector but he sometimes catches bugs for me. I hope to do some collecting there soon. I'll be looking for CO hairstreaks. Let us know where you went and what you caught. If you're not aware of the May insect museum, it's worth a visit. Just outside of CO Springs.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Wed Jun 19, 2024 11:40 am

Heliconius charithonia is ubiquitous in late summer. North of Orlando (at least) you can find hundreds in any field.

The others depend on location and time of year.

Florida is loaded with Wildlife Management Areas and many of what you seek can be found along the dirt roads.
Topic: What is this microscopic insect? Bedbug? | Author: Parisix | Replies: 4 | Views: 72
Parisix

Re: What is this microscopic insect? Bedbug?

by Parisix » Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:36 am

livingplanet3 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:22 am
They certainly appear to be mites of the genus Ornithonyssus, most of which are parasites of birds, although some species are associated with rats -

https://bugguide.net/node/view/96991/bgimage

Most likely, they are coming from bird nests that have been built close your windows. I recall that there have been some posts about these mites to this forum, in times past.
Thank you so much! They definitely are those! We do have a bird's nest below the air conditioner output, but I never thought that if they had parasites they could go up to the window. We'll see what we can do to prevent these at least to enter the house...
Hepialus

Best places to light and/or net in South Florida?

by Hepialus » Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:37 am

Hello,

I am trying to find suitable spots for light trapping, and butterfly collecting, in South Florida.
Does anyone here know of anywhere particularly good? I am after Saturniidae, Arctiidae, Sphingidae especially, and for butterflies, mainly Papilionidae and rare Lycaenidae.

Species of particular interest are
Ascalapha odorata
Eumorpha sp.
Automeris io lilith
Composia fidelissima
Seirarctia echo
Cosmosoma sp.
Syntomeida sp.
Most other interesting moths too

all Papilionidae sp.
Eumaeus atala
Atlides halesus
Callophrys sp.
Chlorostrymon simaethis
Heliconius charithonia
perhaps other species too...

Essentially just looking for good places with lots of biodiversity.

Looking forward to assistance...
-
Jacob
Topic: What is this microscopic insect? Bedbug? | Author: Parisix | Replies: 4 | Views: 72
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by livingplanet3 » Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:22 am

Parisix wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:00 pm Hello everyone,
So I live in Spain (in Madrid precisely) and we've all of a sudden found a plague in our appartment. We first thought that it might be bedbugs, because we found it in the sofa, but looking at it more closely, it doesn't look like the species that is supposed to be associated to bedbugs (Cimex lectularius).
Plus we found a lot of them in the space between the inner and outer window, and they really seem to like my hair (which from what I've understood, isn't usually the case in bedbugs).
They are so little it's almost impossible to see them if you don't feel them in your skin or watch really closely, so it was really hard taking good picture of them. I've made a picture of one of them over my watch so that you can have an idea of the size of it.
Thank you in advance!...
They certainly appear to be mites of the genus Ornithonyssus, most of which are parasites of birds, although some species are associated with rats -

https://bugguide.net/node/view/96991/bgimage

Most likely, they are coming from bird nests that have been built close your windows. I recall that there have been some posts about these mites to this forum, in times past.
Paul K

by Paul K » Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:42 pm

I don’t think there are any restrictions in regards MV bulbs.
I always have it with me either in check in bag or carry on.
Topic: Where did our Colorado members go? | Author: Chuck | Replies: 3 | Views: 127
MikeH

Re: Where did our Colorado members go?

by MikeH » Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:37 pm

Still here but haven't had much time to get out.

Here is a couple habitats photos from a high elevation grassland in South Park which had a decent flight of Oeneis alberta oslari.
Lost Park Rd
Park Co. CO
June 5, 2024
About 9,500 feet

And the target.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:11 pm

Oh- the general best collecting season in Florida is May-June; July is OK but winding down. Late July and August tend to be way past peak.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:10 pm

Can't tell from the top two photos, but the bottom look like baby jumping spiders.
Parisix

What is this microscopic insect? Bedbug?

by Parisix » Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:00 pm

Hello everyone,
So I live in Spain (in Madrid precisely) and we've all of a sudden found a plague in our appartment. We first thought that it might be bedbugs, because we found it in the sofa, but looking at it more closely, it doesn't look like the species that is supposed to be associated to bedbugs (Cimex lectularius).
Plus we found a lot of them in the space between the inner and outer window, and they really seem to like my hair (which from what I've understood, isn't usually the case in bedbugs).
They are so little it's almost impossible to see them if you don't feel them in your skin or watch really closely, so it was really hard taking good picture of them. I've made a picture of one of them over my watch so that you can have an idea of the size of it.
Thank you in advance!
Attachments
PXL_20240618_191938078.jpg
PXL_20240618_191938078.jpg (597.09 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Screenshot_20240618-131345~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240618-131345~2.jpg (230.61 KiB) Viewed 72 times
PXL_20240618_192258128.jpg
PXL_20240618_192258128.jpg (402.16 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:28 pm

cannot bring my mercury vapor lights on an airplane

You can't? Ooops.

Can you get a box at a UPS store in FL and ship it to yourself?
Hepialus

Collecting moths in places not near home - how to bring equipment?

by Hepialus » Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:32 pm

Hello all,

I would like to go on a trip mainly centered around insect collecting in South Florida this summer.

However, this state is far away from my own, and I would need to fly there. Of course, I cannot bring my mercury vapor lights on an airplane.

So, what is the solution? How can I bring my equipment (lights, sockets for lights, sheet, etc.) to Florida?
I know many people here go on collecting trips to distant countries, so to me this trip to Florida seems as though it could be feasible.

Looking forward to responses and advice
Topic: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II | Author: Chuck | Replies: 143 | Views: 576201
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II

by Chuck » Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:25 pm

18June2024; 84F/ 29C hazy sun. Very humid.
Observed: 0

Started in a lower elevation meadow south of my primary fields. Speyeria and Euphydryas phaeton both eclosing now and in numbers. The Speyeria are all males, didn't look closely at the E. phaeton.

Went to the top of my secondary hill, nothing.
Topic: Inherited a huge collection | Author: CalZap0 | Replies: 3 | Views: 98
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Inherited a huge collection

by kevinkk » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:29 pm

CalZap0 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:38 pm I have a image that proves this but the image is too large.
I originally had picture posting problems. You can edit your picture, both in Pixels, and in size itself, it's easier than you might think.
I've been able to post photos from the phone, which takes very high resolution, as well as from the Nikon. With a few tries, it should become
a simple thing. Believe me, I have a number of mental blocks when it comes to technology, but I was able to manage.
I do use a laptop for editing, I don't know if the phone itself can do that.
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Inherited a huge collection

by Chuck » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:19 pm

Hi,

Condition and data for each specimen is important. You can get a free account and host images at imgur and then post the link here.

1956 predates CITES and many other laws. It does not predate Lacey Act, however in 1956 China didn't have many export regulations, and to prove any specimens are illegal someone would have to dig up the Chinese laws of 1956 and translate them.

There are retailers that will buy bulk collections, and depending on what you have, some people here might too.

Note that you cannot be positive that some might be extinct, because that's not exactly positive.
CalZap0

Inherited a huge collection

by CalZap0 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:38 pm

Hello!

I have received a collection that belonged to my great-grandmother. I have 50 species of butterflies, all of them are from China, I have the paperwork on all of the butterflies, they are in mint condition and organized. I am unsure of the legality on selling butterflies from China (this collection is from 1956). I do adore insects but I do not have a hobby in collecting mounted insects. I want to sell the collection to someone that does. But I want to make sure its legal. I also am positive that some of the species might be extinct or endangered now than in 1956.
I have a image that proves this but the image is too large.
Topic: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II | Author: Chuck | Replies: 143 | Views: 576201
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II

by Chuck » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:45 pm

17june2024: Sunny, 88F/ 31C. Yesterday I was wearing fleece. What a change.
Observed: 2

Started at my secondary hilltop, where I spotted so many Spring Form. I can drive almost to the top, and it's flat on top. One flew across a forest trail, one I spotted about 300m away blasting along the edge of the forest. I do not know which taxon.

Then went to my primary hilltop, which I have to hike up to. Zero.

Milkweed is now about 10% in bloom. I remember from my mental notes that the MST population explosion happens about one week after 95% bloom (they delay feeding on the other nectaring plants too.) So figure maybe 1 week of blooms maturing, one week delay, that would put the MST explosion about 01 July- just on time (last year was late due to cold and rainy June.)

The Turtlehead is just about to bloom, MST will also use that early on.