Recent posts
Topic: Using absolutes: always, never | Author: Chuck | Replies: 7 | Views: 214
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Using absolutes: always, never

by kevinkk » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:55 pm

vabrou wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:48 pm I will end with that statement I often repeat: The only persons that don't make mistakes are those that do not do anything. Now this is a 100% certainty, then maybe not.
Exactly what I said once to my employer at the roofing company when one of my coworkers claimed he never made mistakes, after I, as foreman
made a judgement call. "You never make mistakes because you never make decisions." That ended the conversation.
Topic: Juvisy Insect Fair 2024 | Author: XRKL | Replies: 11 | Views: 602
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Juvisy Insect Fair 2024

by Chuck » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:05 pm

Barnzell wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:05 am Hello all!

Does anyone in the United States have any experience with purchasing insects at this fair and then importing them to the US? I would really like to go but I am not exactly sure about the process of exporting from France. Of course I would use my American import license and fill out a form 3-177. Would likely mail to myself with DHL. Unfortunately my French is very limited. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you have the import/export license, why not hand carry and schedule an inspection at the US international airport? That way you reduce risk of damage during shipping and USFWS inspection. As well, with you there during the inspection if the USFWS inspector says "hey this looks like an Ornithoptera!" you can say "no, it's a Pierid. See look here on my phone."
Topic: Rarities in Charaxes | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 45 | Views: 1434
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rarities in Charaxes

by wollastoni » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:23 pm

Wonderful Charaxes from Madagascar. When I was student and collected these, I received some nice pairs of these species from Rémi Radanielama (a local collector, not 100% sure about his name, he passed away about 10/15 years ago).
Topic: butterfly bait trap | Author: papilio7119 | Replies: 8 | Views: 258
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: butterfly bait trap

by Chuck » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:44 am

vabrou wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:32 pm Chuck, I direct you to view our 30-year sphingids of Louisiana study. .... taken in fermenting bait traps included Sphinx kalmiae Neurn., Enyo lugubris (L.), Sphecodina abhottii (Swainson), A. floridensis, Darapsa myron, and Darapsa pholus (Cram.). We captured several specimens each of species not generally known to be attracted to fermenting bait were taken by this method, including Laothoe juglandis (J. E. Smith), Hemaris diffinis , Darapsa versicolor (Harr.), and Xylophones tersa (L.). S.
Thanks Vernon. That's the summary I was asking for. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to read papers outside of my specific area of research. Job and family keep me busy, and with summer (MV season) coming I'll be pulling 4 hours of sleep a night for 90 days.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:24 am

Pierre wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:19 pm Confirmed by Patrick Arnaud, organizator of this fair.
Thank you Pierre, I have updated InsectNet Insect Fair agenda : https://www.insectnet.com/blog/insect-c ... nsect-fair
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:10 am

Unlike the USA, France is a collector friendly place. You have nothing to declare or fill on the French side (as long as you don't buy protected species).

If you want to mail it, you should better use the French post system called Colissimo (cheaper and less procedurial than DHL).
In the parcel declaration, you can write "dried dead lepidoptera for study".
Barnzell

by Barnzell » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:05 am

Hello all!

Does anyone in the United States have any experience with purchasing insects at this fair and then importing them to the US? I would really like to go but I am not exactly sure about the process of exporting from France. Of course I would use my American import license and fill out a form 3-177. Would likely mail to myself with DHL. Unfortunately my French is very limited. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Topic: Rarities in Charaxes | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 45 | Views: 1434
livingplanet3
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by livingplanet3 » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:54 am

While on the subject of Charaxes endemic to Madagascar, we should of course make mention of the rather large and spectacular species, C. andranodorus -

Source: https://wobam.co.uk/product/charaxes-an ... adagascar/

Source: https://wobam.co.uk/product/charaxes-an ... adagascar/
eurytides

by eurytides » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:33 pm

I find the word “typical” helpful in these situations. Typical, X is found at location Y.
daveuk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by daveuk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:31 pm

A pair of Charaxes cacuthis collected in Madagascar in 2000.
Don't think these are particularly rare but thought they were worth posting in this thread anyway. This is the only pair in my collection. Shown upperside & underside.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240403_212100_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240403_212100_Gallery.jpg (581.22 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Screenshot_20240403_212116_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240403_212116_Gallery.jpg (725.73 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Pierre

by Pierre » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:19 pm

Confirmed by Patrick Arnaud, organizator of this fair.
Topic: What moth species is this? | Author: Baldie | Replies: 3 | Views: 163
Baldie

Re: What moth species is this?

by Baldie » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:41 pm

Moth 2.jpg
Moth 2.jpg (405.45 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Here's a second pic just in case the first one is not clear. It could be the same or a second moth but it most likely is the same one.
Topic: What moth species is this? | Author: Baldie | Replies: 3 | Views: 163
Baldie

What moth species is this?

by Baldie » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:14 pm

Moth.jpg
Moth.jpg (108.43 KiB) Viewed 163 times
This moth always shows up at our house at this time of the year during a significant day in the Chinese calendar. But out of curiosity, what moth species/type is this? Either it could really be a reincarnated relative or it is just that certain moths have a migration pattern during this time of the year. :D (This pic was taken at my house in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:27 pm

Thanks thus far for the input.

I'm rather caught in the middle- I like to keep things short, which at times requires the reader's understanding that there are exceptions.

If I have to write something like "chances of finding Papilio multicaudata east of the Mississippi are .00001%" for every instance when a "fact" is presented then a paper would double in size without adding any real value.

Even something so simple as "flight period June-August" infers that there are no adults on the wing in September, while in fact one might see one per year the first few days of September. Must such a thing be accounted for? We as scientists KNOW there are outliers in virtually every case; the end of the bell curve is miniscule.
Topic: Fulgoridae of Louisiana | Author: vabrou | Replies: 1 | Views: 57
vabrou

Fulgoridae of Louisiana

by vabrou » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:20 pm

Newly released, the first publication to specifically address the known species of Fulgoridae (sensu stricto) for the state of Louisiana.

Freely accessible link:
https://www.academia.edu/117030842/Fulg ... _Louisiana
vabrou

by vabrou » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:48 pm

I can safely proclaim that 'virtually everyone' is guilty of using 'absolutes'. People write in the same mannerisms they do when speaking. I am certainly guilty of doing these things, though I am aware of the prevalence of this affliction and when writing make an attempt to eliminate doing this. I can say with 'absolute certainty' that I often fail.

One idiotic thing that even the most learned persons do is to say something is 1000% true. Once one has reached 100%, there is no more of anything beyond 100%. This is entirely different than saying something is 10 times as many e.g. 10 times 100 = 1000 (a quantity) which does not infer or result in 1000 (percent). I can proclaim with 'absolute certainty' that there are a few persons reading this do not comprehend this concept.

I can say with certainty and agree there are 'probably' exceptions to any proposed rules. Chuck, I watched a video where someone was 'running' from an out of control vacuum. An exception obviously.

I will end with that statement I often repeat: The only persons that don't make mistakes are those that do not do anything. Now this is a 100% certainty, then maybe not.

I note that novice collectors often go out light trapping 2-3 days in a year and afterward make foolish BS statements publicly based upon their meaningless experiences. Even though I have operated all of insect traps for nearly 50 million trap hours, I cannot with certainty make some proclamations as an absolute. Such statement have to have some limiting criteria. Another example is in our N.A. scientific literature for the past near two centuries is the repeatedly plagiarized statements concerning how many broods of lepidoptera species exists. Nearly all of these statements do not have have any limiting criteria. e.g. someone reporting a species in Canada only has one annual brood and makes such a proclamation without clarifying that occurred in Canada (this is how our scientific literature reads). But that same species here in Louisiana may have 11 or more annual broods. Here in Louisiana are several agricultural noctuid pest species which have 13 annual broods, How can that be? 13 broods X 28 days each = 364 days.
FranKz

by FranKz » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:17 pm

Pierre wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:09 am Confirmed: september 28 / 29, 2024

Hello
Could I please know who has confirmed the dates, because I can't find information other than what you have provided.
And I wanted to make sure before buying the trip.
Thank you.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by kevinkk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:39 pm

Yes, there are exceptions to virtually everything. I think people use "figures of speech" and that's where "absolutes" pop up. For instance,
the old saying is the only certainties in life are death and taxes, I would argue that taxes are not a certainty, and we can only count on expiration.
An interesting observation, and an issue fixed with proper language and grammar, in their correct context.
Topic: butterfly bait trap | Author: papilio7119 | Replies: 8 | Views: 258
vabrou

Re: butterfly bait trap

by vabrou » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:32 pm

Chuck, I direct you to view our 30-year sphingids of Louisiana study. We published the results from the first 26 years about 27 years ago (1997). Later we followed up with captures taken in four additional years completing 30 total years which covered the years (1970-1999) in which we reported personally capturing 83,889 wild adult Sphingidae specimens representing 46 species within the state of Louisiana. Among these was the discoveries of two new species of sphingidae right here at our home location. All of our traps operated continuously 24 hours daily/nightly non-stop. And consider these same traps and more are still running continuously here, in our 55th year of nonstop light trapping (and operating numerous other types of insect traps).

To answer your question you will find what species was captured at UV light and which species were attracted to bait in that study. We captured e.g. all the normally considered dayflying species of hawk-moths occurring in Louisiana using our UV light traps (night collecting). From our 26-year portion publication we reported species more often taken in fermenting bait traps included Sphinx kalmiae Neurn., Enyo lugubris (L.), Sphecodina abhottii (Swainson), A. floridensis, Darapsa myron, and Darapsa pholus (Cram.). We captured several specimens each of species not generally known to be attracted to fermenting bait were taken by this method, including Laothoe juglandis (J. E. Smith), Hemaris diffinis , Darapsa versicolor (Harr.), and Xylophones tersa (L.). Several Agrius cingulata (F.) and Amphion floridensis were captured in pitfall traps baited with a mixture of human feces, water, and ethylene glycol. Interesting about L. juglandis as adults of this species have been incorrectly reported in the past scientific literature as having non-functioning feeding mouth parts.

Our bait recipes included any an all available fruits of the week (whatever was available to us at any given moment), e.g. bananas, peaches, apples, pears, apricots, cherries, blueberries..... were more readily available These were blended along with granulated sugar and/or cane syrup, etc.... and added cheap regular strength alcohol beer. Never use light beer and never, never, never use honey as it will immediately destroy your bait. We placed the blended bait into used plastic empty milk jugs which allowed easy handling and easily poured bait. The attached photo shows a series of a bi-colored cerambycid beetle (Purpuricenus axillaris Haldeman) which all were captured using banana baits only, none by any other trap methods or any other baits. Showing that experimentation produces unexpected results. Here is another cerambycidae I captured using fermenting fruit bait: Plinthocoelium suaveolens (Linnaeus)

While I'm thing about pouring bait, this same concept works exceptionally well for using (human) dung- easily handled using funnels and easily poured at trap locations using non-chlorinated water pre-added to the dung and then stored for use. NEVER< NEVER< NEVER tightly close lids on any fermenting baits, including especially dung. Never ever store fermenting fruit or fresh dung inside of your home or any buildings.

Here are the three free access links to our Sphingidae of Louisiana publications:
https://www.academia.edu/232102/Distrib ... Sphingidae
https://www.academia.edu/1021607/Addend ... _Louisiana
https://www.academia.edu/1509724/Second ... _Louisiana

and many others can be found on that same site freely accessible. https://independent.academia.edu/VernonAntoineBrouJr
Attachments
DSCF0040 use this one.jpg
DSCF0040 use this one.jpg (267.7 KiB) Viewed 106 times
DSCF2334 red.jpg
DSCF2334 red.jpg (707.27 KiB) Viewed 106 times
58chevy

by 58chevy » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:14 pm

The use of absolutes bothers me because there are no absolute certainties in nature, although many things come close. When a meteorologist says that there is a 100% chance of rain, he knows it's never that certain but close enough that his forecast will most likely come true. It would be more accurate to say 99% or 1% rather than 100% or 0%. If you buy a lottery ticket and believe that you have a chance to win, you do. But that chance is so small that it might as well be zero. However, if the odds of winning were advertised as zero, nobody (correction: almost nobody) would buy tickets. If there is ambiguity in a claim (Papilio multicaudata is only found west of the Mississippi), maybe it should say "chances of finding Papilio multicaudata east of the Mississippi are .00001%." The word "only" is thus avoided.