Recent posts
Topic: Vanessa atalanta migration 2024 | Author: Chuck | Replies: 15 | Views: 236
Nymphalis antiopa

Re: Questionable Question Marks

by Nymphalis antiopa » Fri May 10, 2024 7:06 pm

The atalanta I'm seeing here in TX are nearly all in fine condition - no flight wear at all; definitely from recent, local emergence. Same with the V. cardui, V. virginiensis and P. interrogationis.
[/quote]

Same here in Wisconsin. All those species are typically very battered in April and May here.
Topic: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II | Author: Chuck | Replies: 103 | Views: 566973
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Tiger Swallowtails of NY: Finger Lakes, Part II

by Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 6:53 pm

07 May 2024: back at it, albeit in KY. More than a dozen Tigers spotted, couldn't net a single one- all flying somewhere fast and erratic. I couldn't get to a couple of my favored sites because of flooding.
Topic: Eurytides marcellus | Author: Chuck | Replies: 7 | Views: 757
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Eurytides marcellus

by Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 6:50 pm

I saw Papilio troilus, and undetermined thing like P tharos, and blues puddling, but in KY last week no marcellus puddling. In fact, I've never seen marcellus puddle. Interesting. I only brought two specimens back, I believe a pair, and the difference is interesting, one that is definitely female is larger, with apexed wings while the smaller has more rounded FW tips.

They're interesting in flight because they appear grey-ish white, rather nondescript. They're surprisingly tough to spot on the white flowers.
jhyatt

by jhyatt » Fri May 10, 2024 5:44 pm

Chuck wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:49 am I just returned from northern KY (Bullitt County) and E. marcellus is everywhere. They were common along an overgrown dirt road under power lines, some resting in the grass. Most though were nectaring (exclusively) on white blackberry flowers.

Chuck,

The spring brood has, as usual, been abundant here in the mountains of eastern TN and southwest VA. The little light-colored spring ones are always the biggest flight, with few of the darker, longer-tailed 2nd brood showing themselves. And the late summer 3rd brood is the least common of all, sadly. They're big and impressive, a lot like the FL specimens in your photo.

I generally take the spring ones at mud puddles (not a lot of flowers out when they're freshly flying), but the summer and late summer ones are usually seen at milkweed, buddleia, zinnias, etc. A milkweed along a dirt road hosting S. diana and E. marcellus together is a pretty sight!

jh
Paul K

by Paul K » Fri May 10, 2024 4:53 pm

Just wondering if we will see some here in southern Ontario this summer. I have never seen one yet.
Topic: Has anyone heard of the seller Roger An? | Author: butterflygirl | Replies: 10 | Views: 231
butterflygirl

Re: Has anyone heard of the seller Roger An?

by butterflygirl » Fri May 10, 2024 3:29 pm

Borearctia wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 am The owner of "WormyCuriosities" is Roger An.
You could contact him via Etsy and ask if the email to you is from him.

https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/WormyCurio ... ile_header
Thank you! I'm pretty sure he's legit now.
Topic: Strategus mormon | Author: 58chevy | Replies: 3 | Views: 59
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Strategus mormon

by Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 1:27 pm

Always cool to see a low-catch specimen. And yes, Coleoptera as well.
Topic: Vanessa atalanta migration 2024 | Author: Chuck | Replies: 15 | Views: 236
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Vanessa atalanta migration 2024

by Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 1:26 pm

I just returned from northern KY. There are many beat V atlanta there, but perhaps 20% of what I'm seeing in Upstate NY.
Nymphalis antiopa

Re: Vanessa atalanta migration 2024

by Nymphalis antiopa » Fri May 10, 2024 12:06 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies! I didn’t see notifications of any replies so I apologize for not checking sooner.
Topic: Buying specimens in bulk for an entomology workshop | Author: nitinra | Replies: 2 | Views: 74
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

Re: Buying specimens in bulk for an entomology workshop

by Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 11:55 am

I have a bin of various dried US leps you can have. They are of course papered and dried, so would require softening in order to be spread.

I'm amazed I even have any. I always kept many extras around for projects such as this, but it's been a long time since anyone had asked me so I unloaded thousands last year to an institution.

So I can send 100 or more if you want. But why not have the kids catch then set fresh specimens? It will be easier to set them, and the specimens would be theirs.

Which tribe/ nation are you working with?
Chuck
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by Chuck » Fri May 10, 2024 11:49 am

I just returned from northern KY (Bullitt County) and E. marcellus is everywhere. They were common along an overgrown dirt road under power lines, some resting in the grass. Most though were nectaring (exclusively) on white blackberry flowers. Some were quite fresh, indicating recent eclosion. In the past, same place, I've found them in April and they were beat. That said, of those this past week a vast majority were of the "tailless form" (LOL, that's a joke, get it?)

Those that I observed this past week look dirty white in flight; later generations appear to be bright light blue in flight.
Topic: Agrias aedon question | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 7 | Views: 182
Annarobertson1947

Re: Agrias aedon question

by Annarobertson1947 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:33 am

Annarobertson1947 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:42 am Thanks John, thats extremely interesting, a show of real intelligence.
Have always wondered about Aedon.
Your insight is greatly appreciated
I am referring to the butterflies intelligence in working out the trap ,
I think my comment came across a bit wrong
Topic: Has anyone heard of the seller Roger An? | Author: butterflygirl | Replies: 10 | Views: 231
Borearctia

by Borearctia » Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 am

The owner of "WormyCuriosities" is Roger An.
You could contact him via Etsy and ask if the email to you is from him.

https://www.etsy.com/de/shop/WormyCurio ... ile_header
Topic: Agrias aedon question | Author: Annarobertson1947 | Replies: 7 | Views: 182
Annarobertson1947

by Annarobertson1947 » Thu May 09, 2024 11:00 pm

Thanks Wallastoni,
I use Agrias site a lot.
I was meaning field observations on behavior.
KKarns

Re: Strategus mormon

by KKarns » Thu May 09, 2024 8:12 pm

Nice find! I have a few (4) from California. Glad to see some coleops posted!
58chevy

Strategus mormon

by 58chevy » Thu May 09, 2024 7:30 pm

Found this guy last night at a gas station in east TX. It's only the 3rd specimen of this species I've ever collected, and the first male. Horns on S. mormon are minimal in comparison to other Strategus.
Attachments
S mormon-M-crop.jpg
S mormon-M-crop.jpg (651.17 KiB) Viewed 59 times
adamcotton
Global Moderators
Global Moderators

by adamcotton » Thu May 09, 2024 5:08 pm

There seems to be a distinct lack of anyone vouching for the seller.

Adam.
kevinkk
Premium Member - 2024
Premium Member - 2024

by kevinkk » Thu May 09, 2024 4:16 pm

Sure, just do be cautious with email from unknown persons. Now and then I get email from sellers I don't know, they will go through old ads sometimes
looking for victims.
Even so, even well meaning people can be unreliable, or worse, using goods and services is the only way to have an insurance policy, I've been
fooled twice, and recovered my money by the grace of providence and luck, because I don't always take my own advice. I understand the
issues with PayPal, but sellers really need to think about customers, especially new ones when it comes to payment methods.
wollastoni
Site Admin
Site Admin

by wollastoni » Thu May 09, 2024 3:04 pm

Sure, see here on the Agrias website : https://agrias-butterflies.com/agrias-species-list/
agrias-aedon.png
agrias-aedon.png (65.2 KiB) Viewed 62 times
John, do you know which amydon ssp. fly in Belize ? I guess lacandona as I have some from Chiapas and from Honduras.
butterflygirl

by butterflygirl » Thu May 09, 2024 2:01 pm

adamcotton wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:15 pm butterflygirl,

I don't think kevink was in any way implying that you wouldn't have paid on receipt. I think he just meant that you can't expect a seller to want to send goods without payment up front.

On the other hand, you definitely did the right thing posting on Insectnet to check whether anyone knows the seller. If nobody can vouch for him I would be wary, especially if the seller initiated the offer to you.

Adam.
kevinkk wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:11 pm Exactly. I apologize for being misunderstood, and should have been more clear. There are some sellers who will send material like ova
before payment, but it's more of a EU practice.
I've only had a couple people send diapuased material before a payment as well.
No matter our economic status, nobody wants to make unintended "donations" I certainly have no extra money, it's
all spoken for.
I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I've been very very tired as I am autistic and have severe insomnia plus I was without my medicine for a few days. Roger An sent me pictures which I reversed searched on google images. There are no exact matches to any of the three nor could it lead me to a different source.